Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Building a new Gamer pc.
Your wet dream come true!
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:42:50    Post Subject: Building a new Gamer pc. Reply with quote View Single Post

I’ve decided to let YOU people at Bigbruin help me build a new pc(It’s your wet dream come true!).

I’m thinking about building a monster of a gaming pc. My current pc cant even run Crysis, so I'm getting really tired of it.

I want it to be:

Able to play Crysis, and other high resolution games, on the highest settings.
Silent.

Some info:

Budget: 2-3000 $
I’m thinking about water cooling, but I’m not sure if that’s so good.
I’m going for Windows XP.
I MAY buy a new monitor, not sure though.

So far: Newegg

Last edited by treekodar on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:46:04; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:30:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That is a pretty big budget! Not many restrictions.

Processor preference? That is a good place to start...
treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:16:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Been looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor, anyone know if that's worth anything?
timberwolf
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:20:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How about getting a quad core instead of a dual core since your budget is pretty big.

If you want silence and lots of power, water cooling is probably your best bet.
SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:21:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would also rather go for some quad...maybe something like Q9450...just read its reviewHERE today and must say i was VERY impressed...because it overclocks to 3.5-3.8Ghz with ease...and offers great performance. Just for comparison...my Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz can do wPrime in around 13.5s....while this Q9450 @ 3.5 can do it in 11s! (q6600 @ 3.5 would do it in 12.5-13s at best)

You can find it on newegg for $349.99 which imo wouldnt hurt your budget. Wink

Or you can go for 9650....9770....who knows...it's your call... Wink

Then some Asus, GigaByte or some similar mobo....4GB DDR2 (or 3) ram...since 4Gb is the limit for XP's you said you'll be using....maybe 2 Raptors 150GB...or Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB (which is a true winner of majority of tests and is very affordable too)...case is up to you to choose...what else?....gr.card...either 3870 X2 (2 pieces) or even better 2 9800GTXs (or 3 for TripleSLI)...or 2 9800 X2's...some decent water cooling...around 1000 Watts of PSU power...DVDRW or BluRay drive...24" monitor minimum...or some Apple's 30" model (but i believe this would go over your budget...so 24" would be just fine Grin )....then....if you'll still have few cents left...you can buy some 7.1 surround speakers system....maybe Ageia Physics card...hmm....i know i forgot few things...but thats mainly everything for now... Grin Laughing Wink

And when you buy it...and install everything...make sure to spoil us with some 3DMark06 results...maybe wPrime...SuperPI....etc...etc...etc... King Grin

DEAL? Wink Wave

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:40:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

When it comes to games and gaming systems - its more about the GPU(s) than it is the CPU(s). Even today there are only a handful of games that are multi-threaded - so only one core of a multi-core/cpu rig will be of any use. If anything, you may take a hit in performance from CPU overhead or may have to disable the unused cores to even run the game... Even the lessor CPU's are quite capable of doing any gaming you want. ...just pick one and be happy.

Now the VGA cards is where you want to invest in if you want a system thats gonna stand the test of time.

Multiple RAID arrays makes life nicer too. RAID 0 or 5 for gaming, 5 being safer in the event of crashes. Or a 0+1 array for a little performance and redundancy. Storing your files on storage drives away from the OS is absolute necessary. Never, I repeat NEVER, keep valuable or personal files on same drive/partition as the operating system.

Oh, do not skimp on a power supply. Get a good brand name unit that is rated for more than what you need.

Cooling too, dont skimp there if you're gonna be gaming and/or overclocking.
treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 05:10:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm looking at something like this: My Gamer Pc. Is it worth anything or is it totally crap? Also I need some help getting some decent water cooling stuff.

Also, maybe I should go Vista, for 8GB memory, however I've read that Vista sucks if you want to play games.

-I've also had my eyes on a pre-built pc that costs 1600$

The specs are:

- INTEL QUADCORE Q6600 (4x 2.4GHZ), 8MB CACHE
- GEFORCE 9800GTX, 512MB, 2xDVI + SVHS OUT
- 250GB SATAII HARDDISK, 7200RPM
- 550W CORSAIR VX550W Power Supply
- 4GB DDR2 800MHZ, PC6400 *DUALCHANNEL*
- NZXT HUSH KABINET, Black (ULTRA Silenced)
- GIGABYTE Mobo (INTEL G31)
- 20x DUALLAYER DVDBURNER +/- , SATA
- LOGITECH Keyboard, DELUXE
- LOGITECH Mouse, OPTIC WITH SCROLL
- LPT PORT
- 6 USB PORTS (2 ON FRONT)
- 5.1 SURROUNDSOUND SOUNDCARD
- 10/100/1000MBIT (GIGABIT) NETCARD (ADSL ETC.)
- 22" ASUS TFT ON 2MS

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:13:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Short comment about your specs (my opinion):

Q6600 ok...9800gtx ok...if 250GB is enough for you then also ok...power supply so-so (enough for your config, but i.e. if you decide to go for SLI somewhere in the future...550W wont be enough...or barely...so i would go for at least 700W PSU)...next...4GB DDR2 ok...case ok...mobo...i would go for X38 chipset - otherwise Gigabyte brand is ok...dvd burner, keyboard, mouse and all else ok...and finally...monitor...well if 22" is enough 4U....then ok...(although if i had your budget i would go for at least 24" monitor 1920x1080 - but again...thats just me Grin ).

Wave

treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:45:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I was looking at the pre-built pc because I don't live in the USA, so I cant order from Newegg :/ Also if I buy from some foreign country I'll have to pay 25% in taxes.

I may go Vista for 8GB DDR3 memory,and a SLI Mobo for 2x 9800gtx or something similar. I've heard rumours about some games not supporting 2x cards, so I wont benefit from 2 cards, if I cant even play the game.

I'm pretty sure that I'll buy the Antec 900 case along with a 1000W or less power supply.

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:25:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

you'll need 64bit Vista for even 4gb of memory. about 1gb goes to PCI addressing in a 32 bit OS, leaving you with 3gb. so keep that in mind for driver support when selecting devices and software..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: