Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Advice on this setup?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:11:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

why is the processor 240?!? even the retail 3200 xp is 190 at newegg.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:35:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Pay attention: (all prices are Cdn.)

A letter to a soldier
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:49:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

IceNine wrote:
Pay attention: (all prices are Cdn.)

Ohhhh CANADIAN. Razz That explains why the board chosen was so cool and yet all the components he picked were crap. Crazy

So, what are the costs when you stop using monopoly money and start with the US Dollars?
zane
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:54:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks to all who have responded so far.. I really do appreciate your input. You have no idea what it's like for a newbie like me to figure out all the computer terminology (the last time I bought a computer, 15 yrs ago, all I had to decide was whether to get a 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" floppy drive Smile )

To answer some of your questions, the DVD drive is dual layer, and considering it's a good brand and an all-in-one DVD+-RW, I don't mind paying a little extra for it (and remember that it's Cdn $).

Kilamon, thanks for thoughtful reply - I appreciate the time you've taken to help out a complete stranger. I will definitely look into downgrading some of the components, but (correct me if I'm wrong) the CPU is actually 3.2 GHz, no? My understanding is that AMD lists the speed in MHz (3200), whereas Intel lists it in GHz. I'm not exactly sure what the 2.0 GHz refers to, someone told me but I've forgotten. If I'm wrong here, please let me know, because I think I should probably get at least a 2.8 GHz CPU. Would you also recommend sticking with a 32-bit board? I'm assuming that in a few years, 64-bit will be the standard so I thought I would get that now, but maybe I should reconsider, I don't know.

I'm interested in getting a desktop for my apartment rather than a laptop, since I'm not a student or someone who would need to carry it around with me, so that's not really an option right now.

I intend to buy all the components and have them assembled at a well-established computer store here in Toronto (most likely Canada Computers), so I'm not worried about being ripped off by some fly-by-night operation. I will be sure to get proper support.

As for the 200GB hard drive, I've been told that's it's better to get a large drive now than upgrade later, but I'll look into maybe getting a slightly lower capacity one. And I'll look at getting a Seagate one, as Dr. EvilCheese suggested.

As for the case, I hadn't even thought of that yet. Any suggestions would be welcome. I haven't looked at pricewatch.com, but I will check it out.

As for the monitor, I know it's big and expensive, but I thought I'd spoil myself, since I have a small TV.

peace to all
zane
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:59:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

AMD rates thier processors in an 'intel equivalent' the 3200+ is a 2.0Ghz processor that is rated to run in league with a 3.2Ghz Intel. Although I still find that sort of hard to believe lately. It seemed quite true awhile ago. AMD is behind on the Mhz compared to Intel but Mhz for Mhz the AMD will out perform the Intel.

As for hard drives, in my computer I only use seagate. I have 2x120 sata drives. No problems ever, been in my system for over a year and still problem free. I'd recommend a 250, they seem to make a good price per dollar. But I wouldn't go with anything lower than an 80.

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:17:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If I could make one more suggestion...it's better to get two smaller sized drives than one big one. Store your info on BOTH drives just in case one of them decides to commit suicide (usually the drive you have your most important stuff on!). If you can do RAID, do it...just another suggestion
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:43:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You know, if you want to be truly uber, and save the cash, maybe a uNSLUng network attached storage unit would work for your music and video. You can expand it at will by chaining USB drives off and then your laptop connects to the storage via a wireless connection.

Having a wireless laptop is really and truly a very handy thing. You can sit in the living room watching CSI while looking at that Cally Duquesne pr0n. Love Of course, being in canada, I don't think you could sit outside with it and not freeze...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

zane
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:47:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
> Of course, being in canada, I don't think you could sit outside
> with it and not freeze...

Yesterday the temperature in Toronto was 27C (81F). Sun

peace.. zane
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:00:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

zane wrote:
Yesterday the temperature in Toronto was 27C (81F). Sun

peace.. zane

Laughing pwnt! Razz

A letter to a soldier
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:47:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

81F in Canada is still 81F in Canada. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: