Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Mr. Beer
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:55:37    Post Subject: Mr. Beer Reply with quote View Single Post

I got one of those Mr. Beer home brew kits last Christmas and just used it for the first time last Saturday. So, my first batch of suds should be ready today... Some kind of Red.

My expectations are low, but has anyone else tried these things? Should I go for it right at the one week mark, or would a few more days make a difference?

Sun
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:45:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is your life insurance policy up to date?
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:50:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have never done it myself and I know you guys think anything that has to do with Bud is not beer but I got to tour a Anheuser Bush plant once and from what I learned there I think a few days may make a huge difference. For instance the Difference between Budweiser and Michlob is only one hour in the vat the recipe is exactly the same for the two beers.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:44:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was jumping the gun a little... I have to bottle it now, and then wait another whole week! Yikes
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:38:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Expect it to be better than Bud, but not as good as something even like Sam Adams.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:39:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
For instance the Difference between Budweiser and Michlob is only one hour in the vat the recipe is exactly the same for the two beers.

So you're saying that Michlob actually gets SOME ferment time. Laughing
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:06:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Guinness for teh win!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:32:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BB,
The fermentation is done, after you bottle it you have to wait a week or more to give it a chance to carbonate. Usually this involves adding some type of sugar to the mixture prior to putting it in the bottles. This will cause a slight amount of additional fermentation to take place in the bottle that will produce the C02 for carbonation. I'm not sure what the kit includes for this, but it's definitely recommended that you wait the week after bottling. If you had a way to introduce C02 artificially you could actually drink it right now, but that involves kegs and regulators etc. etc. (you're probably not ready for that yet, wait till you next batch Wink ).

Generally most any homebrew beer is better than the standard bud, miller, etc... but as it was mentioned earlier it's usually not quite as good as the commonly available "micro brews". Also, you tend to get more of a yeast taste because the carbonation fermentation step will leave some sediment in the bottom of every bottle. This sediment is yeast that has died/become inactive due to alcohol content and lack of sugars to metabolize.

Canadian eh

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:27:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa the Beer guru wrote:
BB,
This sediment is yeast that has died/become inactive due to alcohol content and lack of sugars to metabolize.
LOL so remember to swerl up the last little bit and get all the goodness Wink

PMS stands for:Perissable Man-Slaughter, Preposterous Mood Swings, or Punish My Spouse
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:31:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I saw/smelled the bottom of the keg when I was done pouring bottles... Pretty f'ing foul! 7 of my 1 QT bottles drew clean, but the last one has some serious sediment in it. That one may not get consumed! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: