Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Building a new Gamer pc.
Your wet dream come true!
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timberwolf
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:52:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

treekodar wrote:
Well, I was looking at the pre-built pc because I don't live in the USA, so I cant order from Newegg :/ Also if I buy from some foreign country I'll have to pay 25% in taxes.

I may go Vista for 8GB DDR3 memory,and a SLI Mobo for 2x 9800gtx or something similar. I've heard rumours about some games not supporting 2x cards, so I wont benefit from 2 cards, if I cant even play the game.

I'm pretty sure that I'll buy the Antec 900 case along with a 1000W or less power supply.

Ok, so you can't order from Newegg... Where can you order from? Are there any places like Newegg where you can buy your own parts individually?

If not, what pre-built pc sites are available/willing to buy from? So I can see what they offer and the price.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:49:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
you'll need 64bit Vista for even 4gb of memory. about 1gb goes to PCI addressing in a 32 bit OS, leaving you with 3gb. so keep that in mind for driver support when selecting devices and software..

I have 4GB on WinXP and i "see" around 3.5GB -- although that may vary a bit from computer to computer. People generally get somewhere between 3-3.6GB if 4GBs are installed under 32bit OS.

But for users that dont multitask alot...and dont do any intensive graphic stuff...2GB is already enough...and they wont see any real measurable difference between 2GB and 4GB. Grin Wink

In my case...I always tend to go with "The more the better" saying...and with ddr2 prices so low lately...you cant go wrong nor broke if you buy 4GB. Grin Laughing Wave

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:05:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SpeedZone wrote:
knight0334 wrote:
you'll need 64bit Vista for even 4gb of memory. about 1gb goes to PCI addressing in a 32 bit OS, leaving you with 3gb. so keep that in mind for driver support when selecting devices and software..

I have 4GB on WinXP and i "see" around 3.5GB -- although that may vary a bit from computer to computer. People generally get somewhere between 3-3.6GB if 4GBs are installed under 32bit OS.

But for users that dont multitask alot...and dont do any intensive graphic stuff...2GB is already enough...and they wont see any real measurable difference between 2GB and 4GB. Grin Wink

In my case...I always tend to go with "The more the better" saying...and with ddr2 prices so low lately...you cant go wrong nor broke if you buy 4GB. Grin Laughing Wave

It will depend on your PCI devices. If you have a 512mb video card and 4gb of ram - you will have about 3.5gb of ram open for addressing(before other devices are addressed). If you have (2) 512mb video cards - you will have 3.0gb. (4) 512mb VGA cards - 2gb of addressable memory.

Even some sound cards have addressed memory too - so you will lose addressing to that as well. Or buffered LAN cards, RAID controllers, etc.. etc..

The point being is 32bit OS's are limited to 4gb of addressed memory. The end of which is where the PCI devices are addressed. VGA, sound, LAN, RAID, and many other devices will dig into the addressing tables.

But, 64bit OS's aren't quite the cure either. They use a larger footprint and cache more(Vista is bad for it). 8gb 64bit system is typically equivalent to a 4gb 32bit system.

But nearly all 32 and 64 bit applications are written to only use upto 2gb of memory. Want more out of your memory - stay away from Vista. stripped Vista @ 2.0gb used ram vs. stripped XP Pro @ 100mb.

Last edited by knight0334 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:08:43; edited 2 times in total
treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:39:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

2650 $(Excluding OS) for a pc with these specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3 Motherboard
(PCI-E, Intel P35 chipset)

Memory: Original 8 GB DDRII-800 PC6400 RAM DualChannel

hard drive: Samsung 750GB hard drive S-ATAII 3Gb/s Fluid (32MB cache)

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800GX2 1GB PCI-E Graphics card

Case: AeroCool EXtremeEngine AE Plus Miditower

Power Supply: Corsair 550W ATX Power Supply SuperSilent

Dvd Burner: Samsung S-ATA 20x DVD-burner +/- Dual layer

CPU: Core2Quad Q9300 4x2,50GHz FSB1333

OS Hard Drive: WD Raptor 150GB 10000rpm hard drive, WD Raptor 74GB 10000rpm hard drive.

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:24:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

you gonna need to get a beefier PSU. you're looking at ~350-400w just on the GPU and CPU alone. I'm not sure what the bleed is on that unit but 550w might be cutting it close.
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:33:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here is a good psu calculator:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Getting a higher wattage psu than required is good to leave room for overclocking and upgrading. It is also safe to get a higher one because some companies "lie" about their wattage or they say it only achieves that wattage at certain conditions (like at a certain temperature).
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:00:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

only couple problems...

that PSU isn't enuff. Between the CPU, VGA, RAM and motherboard - you'll be out of juice with a 550w.

CPU alone will eat 95w
9800GX2 eats 197w (not counting cooling fan usage either)
Motherboard can easily eat 75w or more at the bridge chips and the mosfets. (plus any other onboard components)
RAM - about 10-15w per 1GB @ 8GB = 80-120w
========
487watts for the above...

and thats not counting the other equipment like: the cooling fan on the CPU or video card, case fans, sound or network cards, harddrives, CD/DVD drives, keyboard, mouse, or USB equipment.

550w is also the peak rating, sustained rating is probably 15-20% lower than peak. ...which is right about the total I came up with short of the other equipment.

---------

CPU cooling? you gonna use OEM HSF or aftermarket? look at another $40-60 for a good aftermarket HSF.

Other than that - nice line up of goodies.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:49:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have looked at several pre-built pc's and the power supplies to the pc's only just covers the pc, not very OC friendly.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:33:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

treekodar wrote:
I have looked at several pre-built pc's and the power supplies to the pc's only just covers the pc, not very OC friendly.

2650$ for those specs ain't half bad.

For all that, $2650 is pretty decent I think..

yeah, OEM's use bottom of the barrel parts in their machines. The cheapest RAM, mobo's, PSU's, HDD's, etc.. ...all generic or white brand crap(usually big name makes it at substandard quality). Never, I repeat never buy OEM machines. You're paying for the software more than you're paying for parts.

Get yourself a 700+ watt PSU to be safe.. bigger(900-1200w) if your budget allows it. Not familiar with the mobo, but a bigger PSU would allow for SLI later when the cards get cheaper. And wouldn't be worked as hard.
treekodar
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:44:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll probably build a pc instead, all pre-built pc's costs a horse farm.

Now I'm just thinking if I should go for 2x 9600 GT superclocked, or one 9800 GX2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: