Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Holiday Tips?!?
For the mailman, garbage men, etc...
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:56:44    Post Subject: Holiday Tips?!? Reply with quote View Single Post

Do you tip people like the mailman and the garbage men at Christmas time? Just curious... And how much, if you do?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:30:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

WTF?

why does everyone feel like they are owed tips...I read an article somewhere that said the author's trash guy had taped his own holiday card and envelope to the can lid so the homeowner would be sure to see and and use it.

Tips are for EXEMPLARY service, not for doing your job half-assed. I don't get tipped for recovering a hard drive full of important data (that should of been backed up to the network in the first place) and saving the company $1k+...why should I give you a buck for putting my donut in a bag or pouring my over-priced coffee into a cup?
/end rant (this is what happens when I have to work on Xmas Eve) Confused Bang Head

*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:57:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing I know unfortunately places like here in Colorado people like waiters/waitress actually NEED your tips. The law here says they get like $2.50 an hour! I think it's 100% BS, but that's how it works here.

But to Jason's point no... I'm not planning on tipping those people. We are however planning on tipping out Milk delivery guy. Be it his job or not, the guy ALWAYS delivers on the normal delivery date no matter if it's on X-mas or a blizzard. And the order is always correct, even when we change it on him (we have a card that we can make changes on).

Probably going to tip the guy that comes and picks up our dog's poop too.
Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:15:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

We don't ever have the same people doing those types of jobs for more than a few weeks at a time; they seem to be rotated out. So to answer the question, no, we don't tip anyone or pass out cards.
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:33:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
We are however planning on tipping out Milk delivery guy. Be it his job or not, the guy ALWAYS delivers on the normal delivery date no matter if it's on X-mas or a blizzard. And the order is always correct, even when we change it on him (we have a card that we can make changes on).

WHAT?
I thought MILK delivery guys were a myth told by parents to their kids. How lazy are you to get milk delivered to you door? Isn't there a 7-11 or grocery store within a few minutes of driving?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:46:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK... so far, so good. I have never tipped these people, but was wondering if I was alone. I see things on the local news about what the etiquette is for it, and it surprises me! People giving big tips to useless people like the door man, and all kinds of other stuff.

I only gave a tip/gift to one person, and she earned it!! We hired a house cleaner this year because neither one of us had the time or strength to take care of that stuff, and the place started getting funky! Laughing

Besides, my mail man will do lazy things like leaving a slip in the mailbox saying he attempted to deliver a package, but no one was home and that I have to wait until 3PM the next day to go get it at the post office myself... generally I am sitting right there looking out the window as he does this. Bang Head
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:50:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nope, don't tip them either. I feel the same way Weasel....it's nuts how many places I go for a cup of coffee, or a sandwich and they have a cup out asking for tips. No way in hell do I give them a tip. The day I start getting tips for doing my job, is the day I'll start giving people a tip for getting me a drink at a fast food place.

Waiters/Waitresses, I do tip. All depends on their service.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:03:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think all of us agrees with the first scene in Reservoir Dogs with Steve Buscemi when he is with the gang eating breakfast.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:34:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Geez, I just realized how much my response makes me sound like a cheap MF'fer...

to clarify: I tip waiters/waitresses (usually 20%+...did that for a few years, the schitts hard work), delivery guys (if they stuff is heavy, requires assembly and they do it, and anyone else who goes out of their way (the Starbucks actually gets tipped once and a while if he's nice enough). I know there are plenty of jobs that pay based on expected tips

But I hate when they stare at you or get pissy like it's expected.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:24:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tip my hair stylist pretty good on a regular basis because she is the only one that can manage my curly hair right. She does get a card at Christmas along with our mailman who is good to us and the manager at our local truck stop who gives my hubby free coffee because of his job Smile No tips in the cards thou. We tip the baggers heavily at the commissary during Christmas since that is all they work for. Servers get 15% from us if they do their job or not .... 20% if they are outstanding Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: