Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
NTFS Resizing w/ Raid0+1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:10:16    Post Subject: NTFS Resizing w/ Raid0+1 Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, so...

Machine is an old compaq DL360 with a 5300 raid array. It only had two 17.5 gig hard drives running raid0+1 and I needed to install WSUS. Sounds easy, right? The damned thing only had 2 gig free (veritas, previous SUS and other assorted IT admin type files suck up lots of space). So, I say to myself, "Self, you can expand that." And I did. I pulled out one drive, let it rebuild, then the other, and it rebuilt and now I have two 36 gig hard drives and win2000 disk manager ID'd all the free space... however... And this is where it gets fun...there is no way through the disk manager to expand the NTFS partition. It will only create a new partition. I didn't like that option. I'm tired of having to admin 40 machines with 3 drives each and a file cluster with more shares than I can count. So, I went and got the System Resource CD and ran qtparted and the partition is now expanded to the full 33 gig (there's a hidden partition for boot-up tools, etc) BUT the damn OS still only sees 16.1 gig. WTF? I must be missing something here....

I have a screen shot but no capability to post the image from here... I can post it when I get home if needed.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:44:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What OS are you runniing??

If your running 2000/XP/2003 you can convert the disk from a Basic Disk to a Dynamic disk, then you can expand the partition.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:55:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
What OS are you runniing??

If your running 2000/XP/2003 you can convert the disk from a Basic Disk to a Dynamic disk, then you can expand the partition.

It's in basic mode... going to have to wait til monday, but if it works like I think it will, I owe you a beer, EC.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:03:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's how it's supposed to work. I've use a method similar to this to upgrade HDD's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: