Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final
Windows Update And Live Update
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khelben1979
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 05 May 2008 06:16:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So... does this mean that if I already have downloaded the recent updates I don't need to install service pack 3?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Methious
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:28:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SP3 will see and inventory all the updates you already have and only install stuff you don't then consolidate it under the SP3 banner.

You should know though that SP3 has been killing the ability to install some devices drivers like on board sound.

I installed it on a new install then tried to install the drivers for on board sound for an Asus board and they failed repeatedly. Rolled back to SP2 and they install like a champ. Then load SP3 and they still work but won't reinstall.

Then SP3 killed the ability to use a Yoggie Gatekeeper pro security device.

There'll be driver updates to address the issues, but I'm told it's a 3-6 month drag time on the updates.
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 05 May 2008 10:27:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Rolling back to SP2 won't help........Wink. The system needs to be up and running under SP2 "BEFORE" you install SP3 or you will have problems with Realtek sound drivers loading.

So I guess what you'll need to load "ALL" your system drivers before you install SP3 just to be on the safe side.

I had the same issue when I slip streamed SP3 with Realtek sound drivers, then simply did a normal SP2 install, loaded all the latest drivers and then SP3 and the system is working perfactly.

I think the issue has something to do with the Realtek drivers and not the SP because I didn't have any problems installing the slip streamed SP3 with a Creative sound card installed.

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 05 May 2008 13:12:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Any word when SP3 will be available on Windows Update? I checked the link in 1st page, but no news there yet.

Also, Methious...regarding that DX10 XP hack...can you provide more info on that matter? I would love to try that, as long as it's easy to do and it wont kill my current XP SP2 installation in any way. Grin Wink

Or I may try installing XP on some old empty hdd....and hack&play with it there. Laughing

Wave

sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:40:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SP3 is back up again and it's dated today so it should be the latest version.............. Grin

Windows XP SP3

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 16:41:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

WOW...it's on Microsoft Update also. Thanks sbrehm72255. Smile Wink

Btw...do you think it is safe to install this version from MS Update? Because you and Methious scared me alot with your conversations about "drivers not working properly after installing SP3". Yikes Crazy

Methious
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 17:14:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's the link to the DirectX 10 for XP.

DX 10 for XP

And no I can't say it won't frag your XP, it's a hack. I can tell you the 3 times I installed it on different systems it hasn't fragged them.

Do a restore point first, then a backup if you can before trying it.

Like sbrehm72255 said, install SP2 first, make sure you have all the drivers installed and working. Then install SP3 and you should be fine.

If you do have problems install SP2 again and your back where you started.

You should know by now that if it's got Tires, Gazongas, or a keyboard eventually it will cause you problems. At least the one with the keyboard won't pull a Bobbett on ya.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 03:37:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the link and info, Methious. Wink

But after reading most of users replies there...I decided to wait a little longer before trying that. I just cant afford to mess up my current WinXP SP2 installation. Crazy Yikes Grin

Just wonder why the he** Microsoft doesnt want to release DX10 pack for WinXP. Mad Like they would lose anything by doing that....dont they realise we'll all switch to Vista sooner or later...so trying to force us to move sooner with such low blows is kinda weird. Bang Head

Anyway...there is still one option for me...better to mess up with these hacks...I can actually install Vista on old hdd...and try 100% working DX10 there....then decide whether it's worth it or not. Wink

Oh...and about SP3...i have all drivers and everything working under SP2...so transition to SP3 shouldnt cause any problems i guess. And even if it does...I read at M$ site that you can easily remove it manually (and get back SP2 you were using) by running one file (dont remember its name now). So at least here there is (almost) nothing to lose. Or is it? (we can never be sure about that wherever M$ is involved) Grin

Wave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: