Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Transcend TV-Box USB 2.0 TV Tuner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:08:30    Post Subject: Transcend TV-Box USB 2.0 TV Tuner Reply with quote View Single Post

The feature of the Transcend TV-Box that got my attention right away was support for USB 2.0. I have previously been disappointed by the performance of a USB 1.1 tuner, and I am hoping the high speed interface of USB 2.0 makes a world of difference. A highly capable TV tuner in a compact USB 2.0 enclosure would be a perfect addition to a home theater pc, the typical desktop computer, and unlike a PCI based card, any laptop computer. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:32:11; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

raviloko
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:01:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice review.
Do you have any idea of other USB Tuners like Adaptec or Gainward or Hauppage (costly ones and the cheaper ones)

Thx
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:21:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi raviloko... welcome! Sun

I have used several PCI tuners, but only two USB ones... the Transcend one here, and a USB 1.1 tuner from Hauppauge.

The 1.1 tuner was pretty bad, but I assume they have gotten better since then.

I have read a bit on the higher end cards, and realize that if $$ isn't an issue, they are the way to go fro serious capturing.

For me, its more about watching tv, with the occassional recording. With the proper settings, this Transcend tuner makes very good recordings, and the audio and video can stay right in sync.

A fast processor, memory and hard drive may help improve recording quality too, as I know my older system can't capture nearly as well with the same card...
raviloko
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:15:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes, it needs fast everything. I am buying a CL 56 with PM 1.5 512 PC2700 and got a ATI M-11 GPU and a 5400 RPM 60 GB HDD.

I am leaning towards the tuners using USB2.0 and use hardware encoding. Its gonna cost me double as the Transcend but would hardware encoding can let me do other things when i record.
AstroLad
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 02:17:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, I appreciate the review and was wondering if you could help me set this up properly. What I am trying to do is record from my PS2, which is currently plugged into the component inputs on my TV? Is there any way at all with this device to have it running on my TV and recording on my computer? This would be very obvious w/ the Gamecube since it has two sets of video outs (so I could just run component to my TV and composite direct to the box), but unfortunately the PS2 has just one so the straightforward solution isn't available. Thanks!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:46:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi AstroLad, welcome.

Sounds like you would need a good video splitter in order to have the signal at two places at once. Either that, or... A good tv that would allow one of two things: Your computer to use it as a monitor, or a pass through type setup where the the PS2 would connect to the TV and then out to the TV tuner.
AstroLad
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 04:39:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Hi AstroLad, welcome.

Sounds like you would need a good video splitter in order to have the signal at two places at once. Either that, or... A good tv that would allow one of two things: Your computer to use it as a monitor, or a pass through type setup where the the PS2 would connect to the TV and then out to the TV tuner.

Hey, thanks!

My only thought were two options- kicking the s-video or composite out from my ps2's usb port to the box (I tried researching but couldn't quite find a USB->Composite or S-video output though I seemed to find many similar things so I wonder if it's just my researching that's lacking) or (and this is probably even less likely) somehow outputting from my tv to the box. Do you know if either option is possible (particularly the first since it would require fewer components)?

Thanks again! Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Video All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: