Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
New Build Dual Boot XP 32 and Vista 64
What steps are required
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkmanj
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 06 May 2008 20:35:16    Post Subject: New Build Dual Boot XP 32 and Vista 64 Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi all:

I'm building a new computer and with to have dual boot capabilities. I believe it would be best to install XP first and create separate partitions for XP and Vista. If so, what size should the partitions be? Can I create the partitions with the XP disk manager? Since I will be running raid, I suppose XP will ask to load the drivers. I'm thinking a flash drive would be best for this? Finally, I guess I can tweek the boot loader by installing EasyBCD?

Thanks ahead for any tips or help you might have.

Jim
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:27:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi! How big is the drive you have? I did something similar... Had a 750GB drive and gave only 50GB to XP, which was installed first, and the rest to Vista. I assumed XP would just be temporary and didn't think it needed much space. Needless to say, there was less than 10GB left since I like it better than Vista.

How about two different drives? That is what I do now... Each OS has its own drive (750GB each) and it isn't truly a dual boot... I go into the BIOS and reset the order of boot drives to switch.

No matter what, I would make XP first and get all of its drivers right. Depending on what kind of space you have to offer, give each at least 100GB...
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 10:21:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Different drives is what I do as well, one for XP, Vista (64 bit) and Ubuntu (Linux 64 bit)...............Wink

I'm only running smaller drives (250GB) which works out well for what I do on a daily basis.

I'm also running hot swap drive cages along with the fact that with MSI MoBo's all you have to do is hit F11 at boot to select your boot drive, so there's no need to go into the system bios.

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:05:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Question for Dr.Feelgood:

I have WinXP on my main hdd...on partition C. This hdd also has D and E partitions. And then i have IDE RAID0 (partitions G and H). Now...if i format the RAID hdd's (both partitions)...and try to install vista there...whats the best way to do it? Either to first switch drives in bios...so that RAID drives would be boot drive...and install then...or just format and install on the current configuration...so...reboot...boot from vista dvd...and voila...set install drive as this RAID drives...and thats it?

The reason i ask this is that in the past...when i tried to have xp's on both (non raid) hdd's...at some times it said that ntdl or something like that, driver was missing and it wouldnt boot (and that driver always installs on C partition (disk?). So would both drives have that driver (or whatever other such driver Vista uses) or not? Confused

Point is that i would like to have both hdd's bootable even if i remove any one of them and try to boot from single hdd (either the one with vista or xp).

Thanks in advance. Grin Wave

EDIT:
Or is it best to install Vista with only drives that i intend to have Vista on, connected? And same for every other OS you install? And later maybe connect them all at once and select the one you want to boot from? Or what? Confused Laughing Crazy Yikes Bang Head Wave

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:38:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Keep in mind that both of your partitions for Vista and XP will be NTFS, so you'll be able to access both under XP and Vista alike. I wouldn't sweat too much on the size, so long as both are large enough to hold the OS and any software you'll be installing.

Re-Speedzone:
You say that your RAID0 array is on partitions G and H, and the lettering system is really only used on windows. Your RAID array should only be viewed as one physical drive inside of windows. I'm hoping your referring to two seperate harddrives, because if you somehow managed to get a RAID0 array onto a single disk, it'd probably hinder your performance a lot more than helping it.

I've never heard of that issue with a missing driver like that. Each OS ought to be installed on its own filesystem, theres no reason it should have dependencies on any others. If you are really convinced that is the cause(somehow) Try pulling the extra drives when you're installing the OS to make sure there aren't any files that are being linked to from another install.(Though this really shouldn't be happening in the first place)

junkmanj
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:36:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In my case, volume "C" will be (2) 320 GB hard drives in RAID 0. I also have (1) 750 GB hard drive as volume "D"

Maybe your right, just install XP on volume C and Vista 64 on D. I've always been told to create a separate partition in the main volume for the OS. 100 GB for the OS yikes!!!
junkmanj
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:48:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Further to my last post, I've read on Maximum PC that the OS's and executables should be on the faster volume ( C volume 2x 320 GB HDD's in RAID 0) and the page files on the slower drive.

As per Dr Feelgood, maybe the speed increase is not worth the potential hassles with a dual boot configuation. Thinking further, separate OS's on separate drives makes sense as my #1 son can install his direct X 10 + games on the D drive with Vista and the direct X 9 and older games on the first C volume with XP.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 07 May 2008 18:41:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

edvallie wrote:
Re-Speedzone:
You say that your RAID0 array is on partitions G and H, and the lettering system is really only used on windows. Your RAID array should only be viewed as one physical drive inside of windows. I'm hoping your referring to two seperate harddrives, because if you somehow managed to get a RAID0 array onto a single disk, it'd probably hinder your performance a lot more than helping it.

I've never heard of that issue with a missing driver like that. Each OS ought to be installed on its own filesystem, theres no reason it should have dependencies on any others. If you are really convinced that is the cause(somehow) Try pulling the extra drives when you're installing the OS to make sure there aren't any files that are being linked to from another install.(Though this really shouldn't be happening in the first place)

Regarding my RAID0...if i remember correctly...it was first seen just as one single drive, but i split it in 2 equal partitions (so windows assigned G and H letters). Not sure whether this is only possible for IDE RAID0 or its same for sata too. And they work flawlessly...unless...now that you mentioned all this...although the PCI controller card is ATA-133 (max)....and drives are ATA-100....the max transfer of drives is limited to just under 100MB/s (although it can be clearly seen in i.e. HDTune, that they could do much more all the way till some 60% when the rate starts droping below 100MB/s). I though that if they were both on separate channels, set as masters, that EACH drive could write/read with up to 100MB/s (or at least up to it's max - around 60MB/s)...so up to 200MB/s(120MB/s) total, and/or that at least burst rate could be higher than that, but again its also just under 100MB/s). Strange. Confused Crazy

And about NTDL stuff...read here : http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Troubleshooting+Windows+XP and here : http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t354200.html , and you'll see that this actually happens. Wink

From what i remember....when i had XP on C drive (which also had partition D) and i installed another XP on E partition (this is second hdd, which also had F partition)....and later tried to remove C drive....and set that "E" drive as boot drive....it wouldnt boot. And all that because (by my opinion - but you can read more at neosmart link above - about missing ntdlr,ntdetect and boot.ini ) windows sets up those 3 files needed for boot ONLY on C drive...and if you remove it like in my case...even though that "E" drive becomes C drive if it's the only one in the system...it's still missing those 3 (or more?) crucial files which are needed to boot. So in this case....before removing the C drive...you would need to copy those files to E drive.

And that's why i asked all that before...because i know i had hard times with setting everything up later and dont want this to happen again in this case...I want WinXP on one hdd....Vista on second...and that either of them can be booted without any problems even if the other drive is removed.

The end. Thanks for reading. Grin Laughing Wave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: