Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ultraproducts.com RMA Process = HORRID POLICY WORST EVER
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NO TACT
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:52:36    Post Subject: Ultraproducts.com RMA Process = HORRID POLICY WORST EVER Reply with quote View Single Post

I bought the 500 Watt Ultra Xconnect from Zipzoomfly.com on 02-19-05.

It ran fine for 60 days. It died yesterday, out of the blue, while I played CS:S.

I tried a few things and the PC would not power on regardless. I had another PSU I had bought for another system and I put it in and was up and running in a few minutes.

Zipzoomfly has a 30 day return policy. So returning it there was not an option. I can read thier website policies and accepted that.

I looked at Ultras website and emailed Customer Service, who have no weekend hours, and asked for an RMA.

I got an email this morning from thier Customer Service department telling me to call an 888 number. I call and speak to a customer service representative (edited to not piss off the CS out there). He explans that since I did not buy my PSU directly from Ultra Products website ( http://www.ultraproducts.com/) then I will have to first pay for a powersupply to be shipped to me from Tiger Direct using my credit card, then they will email me an RMA # within 3 days (?), the new PSU will be shipped out within the week and I will then be refunded by Tiger Direct for the new PSU after they have received the dead PSU unit I will return. This is thier stated RMA policy! They then asked for the last four digits of my social security number!

I then asked if like all big industry manufacturers they would allow me to send the dead PSU back, at my expense, and they would be able to ionspect it and then provide a replacement to me. He said NO that is not our policy, he did not make the policy and I had to do it the Tier Direct way or no way at all. Very rigid.

This has got to be the shadiest, most ridiculous and disturbing form of RMA I have ever heard of. At that point I would give this company a 0 for thier effort at customer service and a 0 for caring about the customer. I would give the customer service agent I spoke to a 0 for intelligence and sincerity. His computer crashed while we spoke, he could not type fast, he sputtered when I objected to this policy. I am utterly and deeply disgusted by this experience and shall do my best to spread the word about this horrid customer service and policy. I have had to obtain many RMA's from many comanies, Antec, Soyo, DFI, Gainward, on and on. I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF ANY COMPANY THAT TREATS ITS CUSTOMERS IN SUCH A SHABBY WAY!

Update: 24 hours later.. I found my way to the Ultra Foums - http://ultraproducts.com/forum/ where I was helped by "Mr. Clean" ie: George in an efficient manner.

He said that the policy I have stated above is the rule but the customer is right and should the need arise a rule can be broken. He offered to ship the new PSU out, cancel the charge to my credit card, which had occured ~:| and then sent the tracking info for the PSU that was in transit. While this is all very nice there are issues with the process I think that will continue to come up in the future.

Why did I not receive this tracking info when the package was shipped yesterday? Why was I still waiting on an RMA number? Though George was very helpful and I have some good news I am still weary of the process and feel it could be a lot better.

So if you have RMA issues contact the forums or call direct - George - 888-333-8900

The link to the forums is not in the top bar of the Ultra site is at the bottom of the side nav as of this date. No wonder I couldn't find it as I was not scrolling the side bar shopping for products I was looking for customer service.[B]

I know "Some people you can never please". I am very pleased but still uneasy about the process I personally experienced. Maybe others will have better luck and this experience may even help the process.

Last edited by NO TACT on Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:02:45; edited 4 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:08:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Did you try returning it to Zipzoomfly first? I always go back to the store first, as it is generally the easiest route. Haven't had to return anything to them before, but tons of stuff has gone back to Newegg with ease.

The Ultra policy doesn't seem all that different from others. I don't like that kind of thing, but they are doing what they can to protect themselves, I guess. Other places that don't want payment in advance at least hold your CC number until you return the bad unit... or make you return the bad unit before starting the process.

And... there are many manufacturers tied to a retailer. Seems to be a popular thing today.

Does Ultra even sell directly on their website?
NO TACT
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:19:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Zipzoomfly has a 30 day retirn policy.

I have bever been asked to procide my CC for a RMA.

I have always been able to ship the product back first and get a replacement shipped to me. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED FOR MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LAST DIGITS. THAT is bad policy.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:27:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, not sure what the SS# is all about... they could ID you some other way for their records, but last 4 digits won't reveal anything though.

I had to give my CC# to Western Digital for an RMA this winter... They took my number, shipped my replacement drive, and if the defective drive wasn't there within 20 days I would have been charged something like $200 for a drive that retailed for around $95 at the time!!! That was motivation to move quickly.
NO TACT
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:33:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah well they want to charge my CC and then ship me a SU, then issue an RMA and have me ship the dead one back for a refund? That is nonsense. I have always been able to ship back the dead one and upon inspecton by the supplier I am shipped a replacement.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:06:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

NO TACT wrote:
Yeah well they want to charge my CC and then ship me a SU, then issue an RMA and have me ship the dead one back for a refund? That is nonsense. I have always been able to ship back the dead one and upon inspecton by the supplier I am shipped a replacement.

It sounds like a policy to prevent them from getting screwed. They probably don't want to send a psu and get nothing back in return. Charging you sure is a _big_ incentive.

I don't like that either and I wouldn't put up with it.

I just had a problem with Sony Entertainment offering a warranty on some headphones I purchased. I took it straight to the top, contacting the Sony CEO of America. I suggest if you can, contact somebody high-ranking in the company and go from there.

(It took a TON of research to find the Email Address of the Sony CEO by the way.... Ha...)

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:08:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree... taking a CC to insure you return the product is ok. But not pre-charging you.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

NO TACT
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:08:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

JimBowy wrote:
NO TACT wrote:

It sounds like a policy to prevent them from getting screwed. They probably don't want to send a psu and get nothing back in return. Charging you sure is a _big_ incentive.

I don't like that either and I wouldn't put up with it.

I just had a problem with Sony Entertainment offering a warranty on some headphones I purchased. I took it straight to the top, contacting the Sony CEO of America. I suggest if you can, contact somebody high-ranking in the company and go from there.

(It took a TON of research to find the Email Address of the Sony CEO by the way.... Ha...)

I have always been able to ship back the dead one and upon inspecton by the supplier I am shipped a replacement.

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:58:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Granted they only asked for the last 4 digits but anything that has to do with my SS # trips big red flags to me Yikes Other than that I have had similar problems with Crucial and RMA's because I did not buy directly from them but from a 3rd party vendor. All I can say is buyer be ware. It is a major pain in the arse but you really should read the return policies of the seller and the manufacture before you buy to avoid these kinds of problems.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:44:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've had a RMA with AMD, WD and MSI in the past month.

Each one of the offered to send me a new item once they recived the one from me. I needed it faster, they required a CC to pre-charge it. Wasn't actually charged the amount, unless I didn't return the item within a set period. These are larger companies, could just be how they handle their RMA's to ensure something is returned.

The SSN is wierd though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: